     I was heavily involved with Internet implementation and Web
     development at my institution. Some of the things to be concerned with
     when choosing an Internet provider. Are they a major provider-where do
     they have points of presence?, what kind of backbone are they hooked
     up with, what kind of support will they give you? Do they monitor ro
     security? do they have 24 hr, 7 day a week nationwide monitoring of
     their connections? We decided to pay more, but choose a major player
     in the field in our area--BBN Planet (formerly NEARNet), they were
     involved with early implentation of the ARPANET and Internet.
     Other questions--How fast should our connection be??(what bandwidth do
     we need?) How  will we manage our connection? What kind of equipment
     do we need? Who will perform the installation? What kind of support is
     provided? Are we vulnerable to breaches of security? Who will maintain
     the DNS (Domain Naming Service)?

     If you are planning Web development--Will you maintain a Web server
     in-house or will you pay for storage and maintenance through your ISP?
     (In this case you give up a lot of control)
        Roberta Oppenheim
        Library & Information Services
        Forsyth Dental Center
        Boston, MA