On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Melanie Wilson wrote:

> Dear colleagues in New Jersey,

I am not in New Jersey, but I wanted to add something here...

> PLEASE REPLY TO ME DIRECTLY.  THANK YOU.

My reply does not directly answer the question, so I am posting to the
list....

> This is not a joke:  Our patron is looking for information ABOUT or at least
> an address FOR a clinic/medical center/hospital/agency in New Jersey which
> supposedly performs or arranges for surgical procedures free of charge for
> qualified
> patients who are not able to pay.  Patron says she has heard the
 facility/agency
> has been doing this for more than 20 years, that services are not limited to
> residents of New Jersey, and that there is a rigorous (as one might expect)
> application process.  I asked if this was for a particular kind of procedure
> (facial reconstructive surgery, for example), but patron
> thought not.

This definitely should *not* be a joke.  Our own Texas Scottish Rite
hospital in Dallas *only* performs orthopaedic and reconstructive surgery
a gratis.  The only limitation I know of is that they only work on
children. They are now celebrating their 75th anniversery, and have been
on the cutting edge (no pun intended) of reconstructive and orthopaedic
surgery.

Karen R. Harker                                 214-648-2001
Librarian I                                     214-648-3007 (fax)
The University of Texas
Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, Texas  75235-9049