On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Webster Library wrote:

-- snip
> it is to come out the V.P.'s budget, the answwer is "no", however, if the
> Library is to absorb the costs, the answer is "yes".  Please note that,
> for the past 4 years, the Library's book and journal has been steadily
> shrinking.

The policy adopted at the hospital where I used to work was -
if a book would be used only by one dept - it would be bought thru the
dept's budget. If it were something that would be applicable to more that
one dept, the library would absorb the cost.

Anything bought for a specific dept would be accessioned in the library
records, and then issued to the dept. A person interested in reading
that book, would be referred to the dept. The book would be accountable
during the annual stock verification of the library.

Vasumathi Sriganesh
    Chief Librarian, Health Education Library for People
   Om Chambers - 5th Floor, Kemp's Corner, Mumbai 400 036
Ph : Dir - 3683334  \    ***    /  www.qlcomm.com/helplib
Ph : EPABX - 3681014 \    *    / www.allindia.com/helplib
" If we take care of the customers and the employees, else
      takes care of itself "  - Philip Crosby