Friends:

In addition to providing information on humanitarian agencies, I am also
forwarding the message to you with a suggestion.

At least one hospital in Seattle is working with a hospital in Khabarovsk
(eastern Russia)  to assist them with planning, training and technology.
From what I can gather, it has been a rewarding partnership for both
parties.  Please read the note below and show it to folks in your
organization. Perhaps your administration would be willing to partner with
this or other hospitals in the former Soviet Union to provide some direct
assistance.

I would not ordinarily forward messages like this one without knowing the
facts, but the fact of the matter is, I just returned from three weeks in
Russia and know personally the situation is desperate. In fact, it is as
Oleg describes in his email message. I've been working to get information
and technology to three medical/educational sites in Russia in Moscow,
Novosibirsk and Khabarovsk, as part of a US AID/IREX/AUPHA project. (I
donate my expertise and my department donates my time). I have seen the
hospitals but have also seen the progress which can be made with some
help.

Americans are a generous people, remarkably so. This is a cry for help.
Please see what you can do.

Regards,

Laura C. Larsson
Research Librarian
Health Services
Box 357660
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195
(voice) 206/616-2935; (fax) 206/543-3964
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~larsson/hshome.html