I am the CEO of Jeffrson Public Radio (JPR) and JEFFNET, a small ISP/online
service which is owned and operated by JPR.  (JPR is a network of 11
public radio stations serving southern Oregon and northern California).
I actually joined this listserv some weeks ago specifically because I
had run into a few threads of an earlier discussion in this list which
dealt with IRS-related problems some non-profit ISP's were having.

We are in the process of changing JPR's parent corporate status  (we are
owned by the State of Oregon and JEFFNET is a wholly-owned subsidiary of
a foundation related to our college).  In the course of that discussion
we've gotten deeply involved in the IRS issues related to JEFFNET.

I gather from threads of previous discussion that the IRS is starting to
take the position that if you run a modem pool, you are running a
business which does not qualify for tax exemption.  JEFFET is an oddly
situated thing in that it is more than just an online service.  It is
tied into our public radio programming in various ways.  For example, the
only way to submit JPR public service announcements (for which we do not
charge obviously) is via a new JEFFNET community calendar interface.
Our daily political commentator does an online version of his column.  We
have community forums on line which are devoted to topics which we deal
with on air and the content is bi-directional between JPR (on air) and
JEFFNET.  So, it is hard to say that our radio side is nonprofit, which
it is, and then to decide just when the content migrated to JEFFNET
suddently becomes part of a "business."  JEFFNET also has significant
partnerships with other nonprofits and has placed these organizations
online.  (We are, in effect, the nonprofit, noncommecial online service
in our region in the same way that our radio side is the noncommercial
radio service for the same region.)

That all said, I would appreciate some comments and guidance from other
ISP's because I am having trouble following the logic of the IRS
discussion as I have understand it.

Many different enterprises are alternatively for-profit or
non-for-profit with no clear dividing line for any given industry.  In
other words, hospitals, Blue Cross, YMCA's and credit unions are, or can
be, non-profit tax exempted.  The AAA is a not-for-profit with whom the
the travel clubs of Sears, Mobil and others must complete.

So I am having a difficult time understanding why the simple act of
operating a modem pool should designate an ISP as a commercial business.
If one were being true to the theory and law of non-profit enterprise in
these other industries, it would seem that the test for an ISP which runs
a modem pool should be what you do, and how you do it, in respect of your
non-profit mission rather than just operating a modem pool and charging
for its use as part of a broader set of services you provide.

Has anyone else litigated this with the IRS on this basis or is everyone
pretty much accepting the premise that operating a modem pool is per se
an admission that you are in the for-profit side of this type of activity?

JEFFNET charges fees to members for various things, including modem pool
access, and then uses those revenues to support the services which we give
away to schools and local governments.  I'm having a hard time understanding
why that is not an acceptable non-profit model.

Does any one have any guidance on these points?  Am I missing something?

                                          Ron Kramer
                                          Jefferson Public Radio/JEFFNET
                                          Ashland OR