Ron -- The Mountain Area Information Network here in North Carolina is a
non-profit ISP.  This is the core of our community network services. Not
only does this function help make us sustainable, it also gives users a
sense of ownership and stakeholding, thereby increasing their motivation
to volunteer.  Moreover, six of the 14 counties in our demonstration
project did not have local dial-up to the Internet until MAIN came along.

We had hoped to lease our connectivity from the N.C. Information Highway,
but we have been banned from this infrastructure even though our partners
(libraries, community colleges) are eligible for NCIH connectivity.

The rub is what they call "re-selling" to average folks via dial-up to a
modem pool.

Instead, we have built our network via commercial services (MCI and
BellSouth) at triple the costs.  In some cases, our commercially leased
64k line runs alongside a state-leased T-1 line with excess capacity.
It's kind of ludicrous.  We are now working with our local
legislators to amend the NCIH statute.

Even though we are not using state infrastructure, a couple of local ISPs
are making noises about a lawsuit in an attempt to discourage our
public-sector partners.  Yet the local ISPs have no interest in serving
the more isolated counties or in providing free or affordable access to the
disabled and economically disadvantaged (not to mention the other
community network services such as training, interagency collaboration,
support for non-profits, public forums, small business incubation, etc.)

The ISP part of our operation is quite like the rural electric
cooperative.  But the culture of "privatization" is strong, and it's not
easy to get some folks to acknowledge alternative models.

Where do you get your connectivity?  Any reaction from local ISPs?

Wally Bowen