On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Carol Jones wrote:

> I also think this is serious and was glad to see a sober response
> although I enjoyed the banter. I didn't reply because I don't have any
> suggestions of a sober nature. Problem is there are information
> professionals in the Health Care field poised to assume responsibility for
> Knowledge management which includes everything that we are now doing and
> just about anything we could hope to do in the future. The medical records
> people for instance are being urged by their organizations to expand into
> the growing area of knowledge management. They see themselves as naturals
> to take on the organization of internal databases. The focus on new
> technology for information managment has created a power vacuum. This
> question of what we are to call ourselves goes right to the heart of the
> issue. We not only want to be around to participate in this emerging
> scenario but we want to be here to make sure it's done right. I know of a
> hospital where the medical records department changed it's name to health
> information department. There is no stasis in this scenario. We will
> either grow to include a greater definition or we will shrink and
> disappear.
>
> Carol Jones MLS
> Salem Hospital/Salem Oregon
>

> [log in to unmask]  Public Access User -- Not affiliated with Teleport
> Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-28800, N81)

Medical records professionals pretty uniformly call themselves health
information managers now, and their department are usually called the
department of health information management.  Medical librarians missed
the boat on this one--it is too late to call ourselves health information
managers.

Carolyn