I think the one you are referring to was Medi-Net.  It has a database
which, by their description, is accessible to consumers, contains
current & comprehensive information on every physician licensed to
practice in the U.S. and draws its information from national medical
associations, state medical and osteopathic boards, federal and state
regulatory agencies and the DHHS.
You can order reports online.

I have not tried this resource and cannot give any evaluative
information.  Background checks on physicians are available for a $15
fee.  Results are confidential.  Their web address is
http://www.askmedi.com.  Phone is 800-972-6334.

Or, the AMA has a Physician Selection site which contains searchable
credentialing information at web site:
http://mel.lib.mi.us/health/health-index.html.  Once you visit the
homepage, choose Medical Practice under Health Resources.  That will
take you to the AMA Physician Selection page.
I did not see any fees listed on the main page about this service.

Hope this helps.

Susan Carter, M.L.I.S.
Coordinator of Outreach Activities
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Library
Slot #586, 4301 W. Markham
Little Rock, AR  72205
(ph/voice mail) 501-686-6737    (fax) 501-686-6745