Print

Print


"The Classical Language and Literature of Architecture"

The Vermont Division for Historic Preservation is a co-sponsor of a 
University of Vermont Graduate Program in Historic Preservation 
summer institute course, "The Classical Language and Literature of 
Architecture," to be held June 23 to 27, 1997, at the Calvin Coolidge 
State Historic Site in Plymouth Notch, Vermont.  This three credit 
graduate level course will be taught by William G. Foulks, who taught 
for many years in the Columbia University HP program and is the 
director of building conservation for John G. Waite Associates, 
Architects, in Albany, NY.  

Morning lectures will be held in the c.1890 one room schoolhouse at 
the Coolidge Historic Site, a rural village that looks much as it did 
when Coolidge became president in 1923. 

The forms of the orders of architecture 
and the architectural books that propagated them will be studied in 
buildings of the 16th through the 19th centuries.  After introducing 
the orders and their use in Italy, France, and England, the course 
will concentrate on the orders in the architecture of the United 
States from the Colonial period to the mid-19th century as a basis 
for restoring buildings based on them.  The lectures will be 
supplemented by afternoon field trips led by VT sites staff and 
other area experts to historic buildings in the 
Connecticut River Valley.  The buildings will include those designed 
by or based on designs by Asher Benjamin and other Vermont 
state-owned historic sites.  

Those interested must obtain supplemental course information from the 
UVM Department of History (802-656-3180).  The information includes 
advance readings and a list of area lodgings (from state park 
campgrounds to B&Bs, country inns, and hotels).  For information 
about tuition fees and how to register, contact the UVM Division of 
Continuing Education, 322 South Prospect St., Burlington, VT   
05401-3505 (1-800-639-3210).  

[log in to unmask]
Elsa Gilbertson
National Register Specialist
Vermont Division for Historic Preservation
135 State Street, Drawer 33
Montpelier, VT   05633-1201
(802) 828-3046