>Could someone educate me on exactly where the Fabled Stake is? Most precise
>location I've heard is that it's "off the upper Toll Road." I've never seen
>it in the vicinity of the top of the quad.

That is because it is not in the vicinity of the top of the quad.

From the top of the quad, head towards the Nosedive trail. Rather than
proceeding down Nosedive, continue up along the Toll Road. The Stake is
maybe 1/4 to 1/2 up the road, on the left hand side, roughly 15-20 feet
into the woods in something of a small clearing.

I finally have photos of the Stake "in action," as it were. They will be
added to the SkiVt-L web pages sometime this summer (still have to finish
the roll, get it devloped, and all that).