>        I don't think you were looking at the Gulf of Slides.  Since the
peaks around
>Crawford Notch are to the SOUTHWEST of the Presidentials and the Gulf of
Slides are on
>the EAST slope, I cannot see how ya' coulda' been at the Gulf of Slides.
>        What you were probably looking at was Oakes Gulf.

Thanks for the correction.  Obviously I do not know the topography of the
White Mountains like I do the Adirondacks.  I was going by what someone else
told me I was looking at.  Next time I will check the map myself.

>        Congrats.  I'm up to 24, including Couchie (10 miles of this trek
in a driving
>rain), solos of Tabletop and Cliff and a frightening ascent of the Colden
Trap Dike.
>Every trip has been a unique adventure - much tougher and more arduous than
the New
>Hampshire 48's.  I even observed a bit of frozen precip on top of Haystack
in AUGUST,
>1991.  I went to Marcy/Panther Gorge/Haystack on Memorial Day weekend - 4
to 5 feet of
>snow on Marcy and @ 4 corners and saw fresh tracks on the Van Hoevenberg trail.
>
>Mark Renson
>24er

Great work on the first 24 Adirondacks.  Anytime you want some company, let
me know.  My husband and I try to hike every weekend, either in the
Adirondacks or Green Mountains, sometimes Whites (but that is new).  We love
the Trap Dike, have done it maybe five times.  I agree that it is very
challenging.  Everytime had a different scary part, but always there are two
moves in the waterfall that are memorable.  I would like to hear more about
your adventures there and elsewhere in the ADK.  We finished on
Couchsacraga, pounded our chests, and proceeded to get off the herd path
down and had a hellacious bushwack back to the main herd path. I wrote a
story for Peeks, the 46R magazine I could send you if you want to see it.
Happy climbing.