Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 22:55:09 -0500
From: Jane Gallagher Hooper <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mt. Mansfield - 1930s

I am doing research on the memoirs of Rebecca Smith Taylor Malicheff
Bird (3 marriages!). She is the daughter of American painter Joseph
Lindon Smith and a painter in her own right - along with being an avid
skier. She states that she "...finished 17th in the first National
Downhill Women's Race on the "Nose Dive" at Mt. Mansfield..." The
timeline is a bit hazy but I believe it to be in the 30s, when she may
have been Taylor or Malicheff. Is there any way to verify this
information?

        Also she uses ski technique terms vaguely familiar to me - stem-bogen;
and Christiana turns. Can you shed any light on these terms and their
origin.

        This is a hefty request but any information or direction you could give
would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Jane Gallagher Hooper