Killington had Superstar open with plenty of snow (and bumps) top to
bottom. Skyes Hawk and Lark were listed as open but there was
considerable walking involved.

I've never skied in such warm weather before. It took some getting used
to. Saturday, after a drizzly start, turned into a warm, damp 50 - 60
degree day. Ended up rolling up ski pant legs to get a bit of
ventilation... and putting a couple good sized scrapes in my shins from
my ski edges during some spills.

And I'm curious how other people work this: even though the air was
warm, take a roll in the snow and all that frozen stuff is still plenty
cold when it goes up a sleeve or down a pant leg. I cant figure out how
you can dress comfortably unless you can count on not falling.

The conditions were unexpectedly icy in the morning, then softening up
to corn on top of ice in the afternoon. Not that I've done enough to
know, but Spring skiing to me means big piles of soft slush to wham
though. This seemed more technical.

But mostly it seemed a really nice way to close a season. Other years,
I've thought I'd ski again, then it'd get warm and that'd be that. This
time, it was so odd looking at this huge streak of snow while spring was
so obviously all around it. You had to feel lucky to have this remnant
of winter to play in, even though the season was clearly past.

Second big impression from the weekend was the bumps. I've never spent a
whole day on them before and, while I never realized one trail could
offer so much variety, I've never gotten so tired from one day of skiing
either. Stopped for lunch (which already is something I seldom do) and
practically fell into a slumber in the lodge. By the end of the day, I
could hardly move.

Sure did see some amazing bump skiers though. I noticed a lot of the
fastest ones seemed to flex their upper bodies more forward and back
with the bumps than up and down. Is that common knowledge? It was a
surprising thing for me.

Other surprise was how much thirstier you get when you're warm. I needed
about 5 times the water I usually go through. Sunday I copied what I saw
the smart people do the day before: bring a bottle to leave in the snow
by the lift. What a relief.

Sunday was the June 1 race, which is supposed to earn you a free 97/98
lift pass. The weather was not drizzle, but rain, non-stop. Hardly
anybody, myself included, seemed interested in getting themselves out
onto the slopes more than one run or two before the race was to begin.
Once that happened, around 11, it was funny watching all these people
out standing in the rain, lining up to go through the gates. Most were
doing their best to ignore the weather; all the stoicism was both
admirable and a bit surreal.

My first time in a race and on the second to last gate my ski tails get
caught up in the back of my poncho and I trip. Which might have hurt my
final time more if I hadn't already fallen a couple times before that.
Oh well. I still can't get over the total weirdness of skiing in the
Spring, on deep, icy snow, in the rain, and in a race, to boot.
Definitely a new experience.

Looked for Dave Barcomb but missed the appointed rendezvous by a few
minutes. Dave, were you there?

Sunday afternoon the rain finally stopped. I kept going for a few more
runs. The trees to the right of Superstar made a great end-of-season
finale. What snow was there was good, but the bare spots took away any
margin for error. And by then my knees were toast.

It was a good end to a good season. And, once again, thanks listers for
all the info, the points of view, and just for listening. I learned a
lot from you folks about the sport we all love.

telenaut dan barron