--- "Jim Baun, RVT" wrote:
it does not answer the real question that the referring physician wanted
answered, i.e. "Why is this patient's leg swollen and/or painful?".
--- end of quoted material ---
Absolutely, well put Jim.  If we can tell the physician that the patient has
valvular incompetence, this probably explains the reason for the edematous leg.
Otherwise, the patient and physician may suffer through many more months of
discomfort or other diagnostic tests before a duplex is repeated and someone
finally looks for incompetent valves.

This is an example of how a technologist who listens carefully to the patient's
complaints and who is attentive during the duplex can assist the physician in
making a diagnosis, rather than just ruling one out.

For example, I think it is important for us to take an extra 15 seconds to scan
through a popliteal fossa looking for a Baker's cyst with a patient who
presents with acute posterior knee/proximal calf pain.

Joe Zaweski
DHMC