>--- "Lee Nix@CARDIAC" wrote:
>Does anyone routinely have patients sign a release before exercising patients
>on the treadmill in a non-cardiac setting?
>Lee Nix
>--- end of quoted material ---
>Good point.  We do not, but I think every vascular lab should ask the question,
>"Do you have a history of heart disease?" before submitting a patient to
>treadmill testing.  If there is ever any question, the referring physician
>should be called prior to testing.
>
>Joe Zaweski

Exercise testing is not necessarily a cardiac stress test.  In the vascular
lab we are asking patients to reproduce the exercise that they perform in
their every day activities. which is why they are being evaluated for
claudication (presumably "disabling" claudication), rather than chest pain.

In a cardiac stress test they are being asked to perform at a level they
may not ordinariy perform at.

In the vascular lab, asking whether they get chest pain when walking should
suffice, but of course, when in doubt, ask the refering MD.

Mark B. Kahn,MD
TJUH, Phila.