--- Diane Shapiro wrote:
I am looking for information on the scanning of internal mammary artery
prior to bypass grafts: scanning protocol, scanning tips, color/Doppler
expectations.
--- end of quoted material ---
We start at midline (sternum) at about the level of the 3rd intercostal space,
slowly move laterally, either direction, and you should see the IMA between
ribs at an inch or two lateral to midline.  It will be a few centimeters deep
and the flow will be caudad.  We first take a Doppler waveform to assure that
it is triphasic (enlarge the spectrum for evaluation), anything else is
abnormal and should raise a red flag.  Second, we take a B-mode image and
measure the diameter of the artery, it is a relatively small artery (2-5 mm).
We do a bilateral study.

Joe Zaweski
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center