John Walker wrote:

> Public Workshop on Consumer Information Privacy
>
> http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/privacy2/index.html

If anyone is attending this, be sure to raise this question:

Why do phone companies charge to keep your phone number and
address out of the phone book???  This is something the
phone companies surely have a slick answer for, but I'm
not buying it.

I have two lines.  One is listed.  The second one
is for internet access and fax and is not listed.
GTE :-( tried to charge me for not listing the
numbers associated with the second line (it has
distinctive ringing with a second number for the
fax).   I finally convinced them to leave me alone
by allowing the fax number to be listed in the
directory.  Otherwise, they wanted $2.30 for not
putting one of the numbers in the book!!

Woa!! Who do these folks think they are??
--
marty tennant,  president, low tech designs, inc.(tm), "Bringing
Technology Down to Earth"(sm),

1204 Saville St., Georgetown, SC 29440  (803) 527-4485 voice,
(803) 527-7783 fax