   One of the issues behind the creation of AFCN is the challenge of
creating an organization giving the best possible service to its
members.  This can be difficult in an age when the rate of change
in technology is so great as today.  For example, some of the
historical successes of the FreeNets may have been strong advances
in their day, but may have been subsumed by technological progress
to the dust bin of history.  If the organization doesn't adapt to
the current needs and technology levels of its members it will
likely go out of public service.  Other problems that can exist is
for a service organization to become bound by internal politics to
the point that its public service mission is damaged.
   I recall trying to work with the FreeNet organization in 1993 and
having a tough time doing an estimate for a local FreeNet simply
because I couldn't get data out of the organization about their
needs and hardware.  In this case a less authoritative FreeNet would
have been a bigger help to me and to the local people I wanted to
work with.  Being public minded, I found this to be a very
frustrating situation.
   Dave