>ONLINE SURVEY
>

>The National Educational Media Network--the nation's only media
>organization dedicated to recognizing and supporting excellence in
>educational media--is conducting a
>nationwide survey to explore the feasibility of a juried online directory for
>medical and health media. One of the goals of this project is to develop
>the most comprehensive directory of distributors and publishers of health
>and medical films, videos, and multimedia titles in the US. The directory
>will also contain a searchable
>database of reviewed titles and will provide links to distributor/publisher
>and relevant medical Web sites.
>
>You feedback is important to us so please take a moment to fill out the
>survey below. Your prompt response will help us determine how we can expand
>our services into this specialized market. Please forward your responses to
>[log in to unmask] If you need additional information, you can reach us at
>(510)465-6885. Thank you for your interest and support. NOTE:Surveys are
>confidential and will be used for in-house purposes only.
>
>1. What is your occupation? librarian

    2. Organization/Company Name? Univ. of Texas Health Center at Tyler

>3. Do you currently maintain health/medical titles in your collection?
>       yes
>4. Roughly what percentage of your titles target consumers? Health
>professionals?
>       10% patients/consumer; 90% professionals
>5. How do you acquire health and medical titles for your collection?
>       Most through an agent/jobber; few direct
>6. Do you use the Internet to acquire information on new titles?
>Other of  online services?
>       Rarely use any of these methods.
>7. What are the most important factors you consider when selecting titles?
>       Whether the title fits into the scope of our collection; the
reputation of author/publisher; to a lesser extent, we consider price if the
price is very high.
>8. What are some of the problems you encounter in developing/maintaining
>your media collection?
        Determining whether titles are brand new, or just releases of old
material.
        Cost.

>9. How would an online directory of juried health/medical media best serve
>the needs of your organization?
>       It would be free.
>10. What would you include in an online directory of health/medical media
>that would be most useful to you?
>       Title, price, original publication date, length, format(s),
author/publisher, audience level (patient, physician, general public,
nurses, etc.)
>11. Do you maintain a website? If so, please list your address.
>       yes; library.uthct.edu
>
>12. Please type any additional comments below.
>

>Gia Amella
>Consultant
>National Educational Media Network
>510 465 6885
>www.nemn.org

Thomas B. Craig, M.S.L.S.
Assistant to the Director of Library Services
Watson W. Wise Medical Research Library
University of Texas Health Center at Tyler