We were asked the same question recently.  My assistant found the
following site which lists dead people and their social security
numbers.  I think she said you could look by number (& our Tumor
registry people have the Social Security numbers).  However, it isn't
complete because Linda looked up several people and only some were
there, but it would be another tool for the tumor registrars.

www.mtjeff.com/~bodenst/ssdi.html

www.ancestry.com/ssdi/advanced.htm

Hope these are right.  I'm having some trouble reading the writing.

Joann Paine
Munro Library - St. Mary's Hospital
Grand Junction, CO  81502
Voice:  970-244-2171  Fax:  970-244-7509