Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 13:59:14 -0500
To: [log in to unmask]
From: Mad River Glen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Extremely hazardous conditions on the mountain
Sender: [log in to unmask]

We have experienced major icing on the mountain.  Many trees have fallen and
are continuing to fall.  We will begin operating the Practice Slope on
Saturday.  We will not be able to run the single, the main double, or
birdland until further notice.  This is not because of snow loss, but
because of trees down on the trails.  Crews will be on the mountain as soon
as the weather stabilizes.  PLEASE DO NOT GO ON THE MAIN MOUNTAIN.  THE
CONDITIONS ARE EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS DUE TO FALLING TREES AND LIMBS.  WE
CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH-  DO NOT GO ON THE MOUNTAIN.

On a lighter note, we will be hosting indoor events for the weekend!
Saturday in the pub, we'll have BOARDIN' AT MAD RIVER!  Board games will be
set up throughout the bar, so we can play all our favorites.  Football games
on TV, raffles, and LIVE MUSIC by Full Moon Heart from 4 to 7:00.  The Green
Mountain Club will host a slide show presentation on "Ski Camping in
Yellowstone".  The slide show will begin at 7:00.  After the slide show,
jump on your snowshoes and take a full moon snowshoe trek with the mountain
naturalist.

Again, the lifts are not closed due to lack of snow, but due to icing and
falling trees.  We will keep you updated on the situation.  Please stay off
of the mountain and keep others from going on it.  Thanks for your help.

-Mary Katherine DeFoor
Mad River Glen office