Salary levels might not be "denigraded" for librarians, but compared to
other hospital librarians in your geographich area, and end up being
"equalized".  I know in the Chicago are, that is the way the Human
Resources palys the game, and we librarians in same size hospitals
end up with about the same salary level irrespenctive of years of service,
etc.     MLA slary survey is OK up to a point, but since it groups
hospital managers with large university directors in the same pot, even
withing a region, there is room for skepticism by Human Resource
directors, and reason for us librarians not to be "down at the mouth".
The Special Library field sometimes pays more, and soemtimes one has
to go with the money.  We should all be payed what the job is worth -
but how to prove it is the million dollare question....

Dalia Kleinmuntz
Webster Library
Evanston Hospital
2650 Ridge Ave.
Evanston IL 60201
[log in to unmask]            (847) 570-2665        FAX: (847) 570-2926

"The secret of caring for the patient is caring for the patient"
                                                       - Sir William Osler