Cheri--
  I did not realize that someone had caught the problem with PubMed before
I did.  I wrote to NLM asking what was going on.  Apparently, this is
part of the PubMed update 2.0. The reply, which I will foreward if anyone
wants to see it...suggested that a search where you can "and" sets and
terms together can be done  in the BOOLEAN search section, in one long
single search query OR if you choose, you can examine the DETAIL of the
search query and add to it at that point. Again, using nesting and Boolean
logic in one single search statement. (Does anyone remember the very early
searching techniques?) BTW, I was told that this field was changed
because users wanted to see the number of hits for each term. Using
Boolean logic and nesting in a single search statement is difficult for an
experienced searcher, but can you imagine teaching it?
  We had selected PubMed because of the three options available at our
location, it was the easiest to use and to teach. And it is a source that
can be searched from anywhere in the world. I have written to NLM, and if
any of you also feel that we have just stepped back into time, please add your
voice to mine. Ask NLM to reinstate the capability to create sets.
Thank you,

Charlotte McClamma
Children's San Diego