Thanks for posting the interesting and amusing article extracted from
The Washington Post. As a sometime resident and visitor in or to Vermont
since 1937, it's not too hard not to notice the changes in landscape,
culture, and just-about-everything-else in the Green Mountain State,
including language, over the past 60 years!

One time in Townshend, about 1938, I recall Mr Spicer saying to his five
year old son, "Eatcher poi, little mon!" That has been a household
phrase ever since.

A couple of comments on Ms. Ferdinand's article -- I thought the phrase
was "goin down street" rather than "goin over street" when announcing a
trip to "taown." Perhaps the phrase depends upon the topography of the
place from which one departs! She didn't mention "East Krinth" for "East
Corinth," although because my parents lived there, I know considerable
variation exists amongst oldsters on that pronunciation; "Careless" for
"Calais," or "Monpelyar" for "Montpelier."

Doesn't Avery's Gore exist up in Essex County as one of the five
unorganized townships? Does the 251 Club still exist? A great excuse
"fer runnin the roads!"

MAMcCorison (once of Worcester, Vt, near the mink farm; now of
Worcester, Mass.)