PRESS RELEASE
Ethan Allen Homestead Trust

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                           APRIL 10, 1998
Contact:  Farar Elliott, 865-4556

ACT 60, TAXES, SPRAWL  – WHAT WOULD ETHAN ALLEN THINK?

>From smashing a car formerly owned by State Senator Cheryl Rivers todebating Wal-Mart and sprawl, Vermonters claim the state’s founder, Ethan
Allen, as an ally and supporter.  But what side would Allen take in
current hot issues?  On Sunday, April 19, the Ethan Allen Homestead Trust
presents a lively program about Ethan Allen in today’s Vermont.

In a spirited debate, experts will argue what Allen would think of
Vermont today.  They will also discuss why Allen is a symbol to
Vermonters, why we need heroes like Allen and whether or not we’d agree
with the stands he took during the founding of Vermont.

Frank Bryan, UVM Professor of Political Science, and Greg Sanford,
Vermont State Archivist, will debate current events and how Ethan Allen
would have reacted to them on Sunday, April 19, at 2 p.m. at the
Homestead.  The event is free, and a $3 donation is suggested.

Located off Route 127 in the wide meadows of Burlington’s Intervale, the
Ethan Allen Homestead is part of a system of public parks owned by the
Winooski Valley Park District. The Ethan Allen Homestead Trust is a
private, not-for-profit organization that operates the park’s historic
site.  For more information, call 865-4556.

# # #

--
Farar Elliott
Executive Director

"The gods of the hills are not the gods of the valleys."  -- Ethan Allen