Denis Bogan wrote:

> My understanding is that S. America is VERY expensive, much more than New
> Zealand.  I also read last year in POWDER,  "If Las Lenas were in N.

        Does anyone know anything about/have any experience regarding skiing
in New Zealand?  I hear that the heli-skiing is great.

> and "Cascade Concrete".  Timberline at Mt. Hood OR is open all summer with
> skiing on a mile long X 1.5 mile wide snowfield.  Kathleen & I spent a week
> there also and were a bit bored, to the point that we spent one full day

> outnumber skiers 3:1.  Their lifts run from 7AM - 1PM.  Before 9 it is
> usually boiler plate ice and after 11 or so it is slop.  The Timberline
> Lodge at Mt. Hood is one of the great classic lodges and we stayed there.
> Everybody should stay there once, even if they don't ski.  The only other

        Ditto.  I heartily recommend it.  The wooden beams that it is
constructed with are immense.  In the words of a local "built when we had
REAL TREES out here, not these dinky 50 foot Weyerhauser Specials we have
nowadays"

> Timberline closes in Sep. to do maintenance work.  Above the lifts there
> are another 3000 ft. of steep & extreme skiing.  When I go back again I am

        I heard that they once closed on October 15, got some heavy snow
afterwards and re-opened on Oct 31 - almost went year-round.  Snowmaking
from the great snowguns in the sky .... the "Big One"
        Between the top of the Palmer Lift and the volcanic summit cone,
there are some gentler snowfields.  These are featured in Dick Hall's
"Revenge of The Telemarkers".  Note: these snowfields are NOT glaciated. Enjoy.

> miles long.  The upper parts of Rainier are very heavily crevassed.  I
> wouldn't go near them without a guide.  There are very nice relatively safe
> snowfields between 6000 -10,000 ft.  Whistler/Blackcomb is closed this

        Crevasse rescue skills, basic mountaineering (rope handling, ice
axe and crampon handling, foul weather skills) are the essentials.  I made
it to 13k last June without a guide;  I summitted with one in May, 1994.
The summit registry is on the West side of the Crater;  when filled, they
are archived at the University of Washington in Seattle. Highly recommended
mountain, but it will hurt you.  Emmons Glacier is the recommended ski descent
from the top.  The gnarly classic alpine snow and ice climb - the Liberty Ridge -
was first descended in 1980 by Chris Landry - an extreme skier way ahead of
his time;  the descent has been repeated once, maybe twice. Furher Finger
had its 1st descent in 1993.  Backcountry magazine had a fantastic article
about skiing the extreme Mowich Face, first descended last Summer.
        The Muir Snowfields descend from 10k to 5,400 ft and are not
glaciated.  The "Silver Star" race used to be held there long ago.  It was
great, but not like the Mount Washington Inferno races.  Mommy & Daddy once
went there in August, 1978 and sure enough, there was still plenty of snow
at Paradise Ranger Station (elevation 5,400 ft.)
        The enormity of this hill cannot be overstated.  I have countless
great memories from my 2 visits there.  I first saw it from a plane from
100 miles away and was shocked at how big it looked;  I said to myself "I
just HAVE to go there"

Sometimes my heart wanders to the other upper corner of the Lower 48 ....
Mark