Hi Janie,

I came across this question in the May 26, 1998 issue of Medical
Economics (p. 223, "Practice Management") that may explain in part why
Drs. do not want to be listed on your web site:

"Question: I think email is more efficient than the telephone or regular
mail, so I'm thinking about including my address on my business card.
Would it be wise to encourage patients to contact me via email?

Answer: No, email creates malpractice and confidentiality risks.  You'd
be obligating yourself to check and respond to your messages several
times a day, every day, including weekends, or to have a staffer monitor
them for you.  And email isn't secure from prying employers or computer
hackers.  Also consider what would happen if you changed your service
provider.  Patients with your old address would face communication
delays, and you'd be forced to have your business cards reprinted."

Hope this helps.

Laurie A. Potter, MLS
Medical Librarian

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
  Date:
        Tue, 2 Jun 1998 14:03:07 -0700
  From:
        jane grosman <[log in to unmask]>

I'm working with a the powers that be on our hospital/health system
internet web site which includes a physician directory.  Some of our
docs are balking at being included (?!!) in this.  I haven't a clue why
they're twitty about it but does anyone have any studies, articles,
practical evidence of support by physicians and for physicians being in
an online directory that we could share with those who "don't
believe"?
Janie Grosman, M.L.I.S.