Gary:

I have been researching the connections between community policing and
civic education:  new ways to involve citizens that reinvigorate democracy.
The two examples on my web site (Chicago and Hamilton, NJ) are intended to
demonstrate that community policing is a method for involving citizens in
local decision-making just like elections, jury service, and community
service.

http://www.civicmind.com/civicmind/police.htm

Hope you'll post your speech on this listserv.  I've listed the conference
on my site under Calendar.

At 12:42 PM +0100 7/30/98, Gary Chapman wrote:
>I'm going to be speaking at an international conference on community
>policing, called "Beyond the Rhetoric: Facing the Challenges of Community
>Policing," in Chicago August 11-14. I'll be addressing the potential
>interface between community networks and community policing, to an audience
>of about 750 senior police officials from all over the world.

Wendy Bay Lewis
THE CIVIC MIND [sm]
http://www.civicmind.com
406.582.8828