thanks for your input.

I am in total agreement with you.  I strongly feel that we were "let
down" by our leadership when they decided to go forward with the proposal
to institute a one-candidate slate rather than do a thorough study of the
issue and consider alternatives.  NONE of that was done even though I
have been "papering" the Board and others with memos about this for the
last year or two.  I had even gone so far as to suggest the Board conduct
a straw poll of the membership before going forward - also not done.

As for who they consider "qualified."  Now there's the rub once again.  I
have no idea and can only assume the Nominating Committee establishes
that as they go along.  ONe thing I do know, in the past 20 years, even
though the largest constituency in our association is made up of hospital
librarians, only 5 have been President over the last 20 years (Gertrude
Lamb, Loia Ann Colaianni, Holly Shipp Buchanan, Judith Messerle, - and three
of those then went on to jobs in Academia or NLM (Holly, Judith, and Lois
ann). Being President seems to be quite the job-advancement mechanism.

I think it would be interesting, if not essential, to take a long hard
look at why this is.  Logic tells us that it has to do with support.
Being President requires a minimum of 50% of one's time (and they must
make that committment before running).  That pretty much excludes many
one-person or few-person hospital libraries where the hospital
administrators usually wouldn't permit their librarian being away that
much.  This is why I think my idea of providing support staff, or even
librarian assistance to the President is a good one.  It would enable
more hospital librarians to participate in the election process.

Bottom line, we must look into why there is such a problem in getting
candidates to run and address those problems rather than this chicken way
out.  It does nothing to resolve the problem of the disparity between
hospital librarians and academic in running for President.

Tom

Thomas Williams, Director                       (334) 460-6885
Biomedical Library and Media                    (334) 460-7638(fax)
   Production Services
University of South Alabama                     [log in to unmask]
College of Medicine                             http://southmed.usouthal.edu
BML 326B
Mobile, Alabama 36688-0002