Dear Isogeochemers

Do you collect and store water samples for DIC isotope and oxygen isotope
analysis?  What sample containers do you use and why?

I will be collecting hundreds of seawater samples for subsequent DIC
isotope and water oxygen isotope analysis.  I am worried about the
potential alteration of isotopic values during storage.  I have heard that
screw capped bottles and even crimped blood serum bottles will eventually
leak.  Is this folklore?  Can you recommend appropriate sample containers
and tell me what their limitations are?

Thank you,
Michael Lutz
Stanford University Stable Isotope Laboratory

Dept. of Geological & Environmental Science    Work: 650-723-0847
Stanford University                            Home: 650-497-7145
Stanford, California 94305-2115                [log in to unmask]
"There are three type of people in the world: Scottish, people who want
to be Scottish, and people with absolutely no ambition!"