No hurry, and thanks for the book tips.  I could not read Ullman in spite of
the raves. Of course, I could not read neal Stephenson either.

You'd really like Mike Davis' Ecology of Fear about Los Angeles.  A great
analysis of the problems affecting L.A. --in reality and in our imagination.

Re: one issue politicians.  The Green city council of Arcata is now burned
out and nobody wants to run to take over. The republicans are just
hibernating, letting them run out of time.  Good article on the evolution of
their power base in the SJ Merc.   Sounds a bit like the metamorphosis of
the militant Chicano party on the Texas border that scared away businesses..
 And I'm sure this would happen big timeif the Christian Right really made
the Republicans toe the line on all sorts of issues.

Steve