Under an NTIA grant we extended Internet infrastructure
to an exurban area, based around servers located in the public school
system.
The project report is located at:

http://www.gmu.edu/library/pwi/iet/riipp.html

Abstract:
Regional Information Infrastructure Policy Project of Northern Virginia
(RIIPP)

The Regional Information Infrastructure Policy Project of Northern Virginia,
funded by the U.S. Department of Commerce's National Telecommunications and
Infrastructure Administration, is a 12-month policy demonstration project of
the role, function and benefits of an information and communication
infrastructure in community and commercial life. This joint effort, headed
by GMU's The Institute of Public Policy (TIPP) and including IET, GMU's
Center for Regional Analysis, Fauquier and Alexandria County school systems
and others, is organized around selected community needs for education,
training and public information.
At the end of the twelve month demonstration phase, the target schools in
both Fauquier County and the City of Alexandria established network-based
access to a variety of Internet services for instructional and
administrative purposes. In addition, provision for Internet access was
provided for approximately 200 households in Fauquier in conjunction with a
private, local Internet Service Provider. A formative evaluation of the
social and cultural impact of a county-wide information and communications
infrastructure is projected.

Paul M.A. Baker, Ph.D., AICP
Assistant Professor
The Institute of Public Policy, MSN 3C6
George Mason University/  Fairfax, VA 22030-4444
703.993.3182(V) email: <[log in to unmask]>  <http://ralph.gmu.edu/~pbaker>

"Any great change must expect opposition
because it shakes the very foundation of Privilege" - Lucretia Mott, Quaker
Suffragette and Abolitionist