Saltspeter wrote: "Yesterday, I purchased a Downpour Goretex shell from Eastern Mountain Sports" "Question - will this shell be warm enough assuming I use an appropriate weight fleece?" This may be a case of comparing apples to oranges, but I thought I would pass on my tale. My wife bought a Goretex parka (shell) from REI a while back, and it was a good price, but she eventually returned it and paid more for a name brand jacket, since the REI jacket was not too well constructed. Problems with seams separating, snaps pulling apart from the fabric, overall workmanship problems. If EMS is better, great. Just be sure to give the jacket a good once over. I have found that while the expensive name brand jackets are painful on the wallet, the quality and attention to detail is worth the price. On an unrelated, and non-VT note, I found waiting for me in my mailbox yesterday the Powder photo annual. Words cannot describe it. Get this magazine. It is better than porno, but I don't want to think too much about what that says about me!