Ann Marie,
     I remeber when we were able to correlate large numbers of LE venous
studies with venograms ten years ago or so.  I noticed alot of
discrepancies at the sapheno femoral junction.  I am not sure how many
exactly, but I know I looked into this problem.  I also noticed some
venography reposrts discussing "mixing defects" at this region.  I remeber
reading and also being told that dye from the injected vein can fill the
lumen incompletely when it mixes with the flow from the veins not
injected.  Thus it is common to accept filling defects at the confluence
of the dfv/cfv/sfj as a normal consequence of this layering effect, and
therefore be insensitive to thrombus or to not opacify partial thrombus
due to incomplete filling.  I cant remeber my source but will check my old
files of articles to see if I can dig it up.  Sounds like this may be a
similar case.
     Hope all is well with you!
Tina