What if any effect does contralateral carotid occlusion have on the numbers?

>>> Gregory Moneta <[log in to unmask]> 12/02/98 10:32AM >>>
In our lab based on an analysis of 352 carotid artery duplex scans and angios
and calculating angiographic stenosis according to the NASCET method an ICA to
CCA PSV ratio of 2.7 predicts a >50% to 99% ICA stenosis with sens, spec, etc of
about 90%.  These numbers were derived using Acuson and ATL machines and a
population with a high prevalence of disease.  As everyone is likely aware,
different machines and different populations may have slightly different, or
even dramatically different, cut points.  These criteria, currently not
published, and others soon to be derived I'm sure, must be evaluated in
individual labs for accuracy with your machines and your patient population.