If I understand your question correctly, you want to keep track of
reference request topics?

I use Microsoft Access to do this and have designed a database which
tracks not only the topic requested, but who requested it by name, type
of affiliation with the institution (includes active, sources searched
to research the request, as well as date/time both requested and
completed.  This is actually an outgrowth of my departmental quality
plan, but the information is useful to me in a number of ways

I use it primarily for library statistics and reports but it is also
useful to me in terms of collection development.

I also share this some of this information with our director of medical
education.   He is not given the specific names of requestors,  but gets
a list of  the topics researched and the category of patron.  Aside from
giving him an idea of the scope of questions requested, recurring
requests for similar types of information helps him identify possible
opportunities to improve institution-wide knowledge.

Hope this helps.  If you would like more specific information about how
I've set this up, please contact me off-list.

Debbie

Debbie Skolnik M.L.S.
Library Director
Suburban Hospital Health Systems