This is by no means an answer to the question, but I was under the impression
that here in the United States foot prints are no longer used to identify
infants. When my daughter was born in 1989, it was explained that while we got
a foot print card as a keep sake, indentification was done solely through
matching wrist bands. I think the reason given was that it was nearly
impossible to get a legible foot print from an infant, so a foolproof back up
was necessary anyway. The foot print was merely tradition.

Maybe the hospital in question would want to research a cost-effective
indentification method that did not involve foot prints.

This is based on my own experience, and the practice of one hospital in rural
New York, in 1989 and 1992. Your mileage may vary.
Beti
Beti Horvath, MLS
Library Services
Mid-Hudson Forensic Psychiatric Center