        I knew of the potential for snow last night, and toyed with the
idea of going to Mad River if there was enough to skip work for the
morning.  When I called the mountain this morning, they said 5-6" new in
the past 24 hours, and snowing.  Since Burlington had already picked up
3-4, I knew it was time to go.  Got James up and, with a few minutes of
effort we managed to get my car out of the driveway.  The new inches on
top of the past two storms had really given us a lot of snow, even in
town; the roads were greasy but not too bad.  As we approached the
mountain, the snow was letting up and patches of blue sky were
appearing.  We immediately looked over to the practice slope and saw a
few tracks, but tons of fresh lines.  Warmed up there with a couple runs
and found 10-12" of great snow all over the face where they had not
groomed.  This snow was slightly heavier than Sunday at the 'bush, but
lighter than Saturday at Jay Peak, I'd guess 8-10% H2O (latest report
from Mt. Mansfield was 9% for Tuesday, and for Wednesday in the valley,
South Lincoln reports 10.3% and Waitsfield reports 11.7%).  We were
reluctant to leave the practice slope with all the fresh lines still
there, but my time was limited, and we wanted to check out what was off
the double.  James had been at the mountain yesterday, and he said that
there were plenty of places where you could see the ground (although
coverage was adequate).  He commented that many of those places had been
filled in, and only the steepest stuff of the double now had ground
showing where people had skied.  We worked the skier's left of the
double, finding plenty of untracked; boot deep to above the knees in
places.  Generally, a little bit of traversing to the left would yield
good rewards.  The woods were a bit bony in spots, but most lines were
skiable.  We finished the morning up over at the practice slope again.
As much as I love the powder in the trees, there's a certain something
about freshies in the open that really gives you a sense of freedom.
After a brief break this afternoon and tomorrow, more snow may be on the
way for Thursday evening through Saturday.  We'll see what happens, but
another good storm will really make for some excellent conditions this
weekend.

J.Spin