I am no epidemiologist, but I have read that the American origin of syphilis
has been questioned.  There were even reports of an ancient fossil in Greece
with syphilis.  I don't know how valid that claim was.  There was an article
in Monthly Review (in the 1970s, I believe, questioning the American origin of
syph on historical grounds)

In solidarity,

Val Dusek