  Jason wrote:
>    Matt wrote:
>>     Has anyone used skis that combine the best of both world, great
>> >carving and stable high speeds?
>> >
>>              K2 Four
>I LOVE my new K2 Merlin V's...

  In early December, I got a chance to demo at Killington
the K2 Four, Volant Super-I, K2 Merlin V, and the Volkl P30SL.
I skied them in that order.
  I weight about 154 lbs. and the K2s and the Volkl were 188s and
the Volants were just above or below that length.
  My current skis are (were - I bought a demo pair of P30SLs)
straight stick K2 CV comp. slalom boards.  My number one want from
the new ski was that I did not have to change to meet the ski.
I want to be able to warp or do a lazy slow cruise.  Trees and bumps.
  For each pair I did two K1/Cascade and two Superstair chair /
Skylark (Superstar trail was not open then).
  The K2 Fours skied nicely.  I felt I could live with them.
For each pair, when I went past the base of the Canyon quad at K.,
I dropped into a tuck down that short steep pitch to get up speed
for the runout and watched the ski tips.  The Fours tips jittered
a bit back and forth.
  The Volant Super-Is were better than the Fours at fast aggressive
skiing, but were not any fun for me at slow and lazy.  They also
had their tips jittering at fast and straight.
  I went to the K2 guy and said that I was a CV slamom comp. owner
and what should I try.  He smiled. looked me in the eye and handed
me a pair of Merlin Vs.  I really liked the Merlin Vs, I wanted to
go fast and straight, they said sure, lets do it.  Ice, what small
bumps there were then, they were nice boards.  I was thinking these
are it.
  Then I tried the Volkl P30SL  - if I was in love with the Merlin V,
then it was lust for the P30.  Was I just warmed up and rockin'
from the Merlin V runs ?  I dunno, I just felt that the Volkl would
do everything that the K2 would do and were a notch nicer.  Fast and
straight or quick in the bumps, they were there to do it.
  Your mileage will vary.

  - Randy
 -