On Friday, February 05, 1999 11:49 AM, Slifkin, Douglas
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
>                 This list is filled with powder fanatics and I'm sure
> the thought of moving out west has crossed many of your minds.  Jonathon
> Kamien and Andor moved out west recently for better skiing.  Does
> anybody on this list think they will try to move out west in the next
> few years?  Where are you considering.  VT skiing is great but after a

        I simply did not know how to answer this.  A few years ago, I fell flat on
my face trying to start a career out West.  I had some good nibbles 'n
bites in Seattle and Denver.  Then, I actually spent some time in Denver.
 I bagged two 14,000 footers (Torrey & Gray).  ..... but, when I was
reasons that Scott Mortimer gave in his analysis of Denver are right on the
mark, plus they all seem to be in love with the concept of reckless,
unrestrained growth; the idea of a "North Mexico City" - 35 million people,
etc - seems to excite them.  I was totally stunned that I put in all of
this effort and realized that I didn't like the place.
        As for Seattle, I find that I get laughed at for having very obvious
"Eastern" personal traits.  I am baffled by this.  I mean, I don't "pahk my
cah in the yahd" or talk anywhere near that (though I suspect that after 9
years of working in the Central Connecticut industrial belt, I might have
picked up a New
Br IT-innn accent).  But, folks in the Northwest and Montana consistently
ask me "so, whereabouts in the East are you from" or "is that an 'East'
type of thing you're talkin' about" without my even telling them where I'm
from.  These remarks normally occur within the first few minutes of the
conversation.  I find Seattle to be an absolutely wonderful place, though.
 The Summer's are incredibly beautiful and are not that too rainy at all.
Again, Scott Mortimer's analysis are right on, plus it's a convenient jump
off point for Alaska!
        As for Los Angeles, I'm terrified of that place.  It's probably got
something to do with my stodgy Yankee conservatism.
        Allentown? Hmmm, it's to the West and close enough to the East Coast so
that I won't be ridiculed.  Plus there's the Poconos, ooops, I mean the
Pocanos.  Might be too far south, though, as I consider anything south of
Interstate 80 to be Dixie.
        So, here I am.  My mountain dreams are out West, but I just can't seem to
get too far the other side of New Britain.  Oh well, I got and worship the
North Country.  Perhaps I will make my way out West in the future, but for
now, it's only a place to visit.

Lost in America,
Mark