Marc Guido <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>OK, I give...for all my trips there, I've got no clue where the Lobster Claw
>is ... not that it's on this photo, either.

It's the gully to the east of the Right Gully, sometimes referred to as the
Right Right Gully.   It's oriented to a more southerly aspect and is sometimes
the first & only gully to corn up when it's cool & windy.  It's a shorter &
lower angle run than some of the others, something like 30 degrees making it
somewhat safer in icy conditions, but like the right gully its runout is usually
onto rock.  So when it's hardpan firn I don't ski it.  But it can be terrible
everywhere else and still pretty decent there as long as there's been some sun.

It gets the Lobster Claw monniker because of the convergence with a smaller gully
about 1/3 of the way down giving a pincer appearance.  It's often side loaded
on the west 1/2 due to prevailing winds and can have unstable slabs in "moderate"
avi danger conditions but tends to stabilize quickly on sunny days when it gets
above freezing.

dana

_____________ ________ __
__(    Tele till you drop