Sort of on the same topic..
At the skivt-l partee, John Crowley and I were talking about moving to big
ski mountains, known for intermedaite terrain but with lots of gnarly
stuff tucked in the folds, that have a primarily family-based clientele.
We figured such a place would be great to live at cause the competition
for first tracks would be so thin (as opposed to places like MRG, Stowe,
Alta, etc.. where the best terrain gets tracked really quickly by tons of
great skiers). The place that kept coming up was Snowmass. It's got tons
of vertical, a wide expanse of steeps up top, and is pretty much over run
by crappy skiers (or so I hear). It's pretty far from any metropolitan
centers (Denver's like 3.5 hours right?) so the day tripper factor is
low.. leaving you with vacationing families who just wanna spend lots of
money and snowplow a few runs, so miles of stuff gets left untouched.
Anyone know of other places like this?

Jerm