I don't believe it is our responsibility to determine whether a document is legal or not for recording. As a matter of fact, I believe that we could be held liable if we were to refuse. I was always told to record whatever we receive. It is then up to the legal profession to straighten out any technicalities. I don't think that we can be expected to take the time to trace the chain of events - that is doing a title search. Other than the information that I need for my cards and verifying that there are witnesses and a notary, I never look at the rest of the document. I record my assignments by noting on the margin of the referenced mortgage and noting on the card as well. I do not do a separate card for each assignment.