Matt Duffy <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I realized this sound was not coming from the distance. It was under the
>snow I was climbing. Then I came upon a crack that had not yet deteriorated
>to the point where it was all the way through. Still, this sent a chill up
>my spine as I began to get paranoid about having an entire slab of snow give
>out from under my feet and into a cold, wet, dark and punishing death
>plummet. I stopped here and fumbled around clumsily trying to nervously
>click in. It was probably unwarranted, but my nerves were starting to break.

Get this straight:  When it's warm enough that you're getting slushy slides
from above and the undercut snow is thin enough that you can hear the flow
underneath HELL YES being nervous about it is warranted! Getting out was
absolutely the right thing to do!

The seductive danger of Tuckerman is that you'll see people skiing & climbing
stuff (in blissful ignorance) that shouldn't be, which can suck you into
doing it yourself.  But it's a Russian roulette game, one loss can end your
life or worse yet, your skiing carreer!  Nurture and protect your healthy
fear of the elements- it'll sustain you.

dana

_____________ ________ __
__(    Tele till you drop