Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:23:17 -0400
To: "Christopher.Allen" <[log in to unmask]>
Originally from From: "Barbara A. Kucera" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: NCSA Chautauquas, Kentucky Chautauqua Travel Grant, and
        Opportunities for Students
Hi,

I met some of you at the EPSCoR Project Directors meeting on Friday, June
4, in Arlington, VA, and I look forward to meeting the rest of you soon. I
promised that I would send additional information about the upcoming
National Computational Science Alliance chautauquas that will be offered
at three sites this summer (University of New Mexico, Albuquerque;
University of Kentucky, Lexington; and Boston University, Boston) and how
to apply for EPSCoR travel grants, as well as an opportunity for
undergraduate students to serve as volunteers at Supercomputing '99
(SC'99) in November, 1999.

If you know anyone who might be interested in attending, please send me
their name and email address and I'll see that they receive an invitation.

1.  You can get additional information about the Chautauquas in general,
and about the Kentucky Chautauqua in particular, at the following url:

http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/alliance/chautauqua

To apply for a travel grant to the Kentucky Chautauqua, interested parties
should send a brief email message to me Barbara Kucera
<[log in to unmask]> indicating why they want to attend the Kentucky
Chautauqua and the size of the travel grant they are requesting.

The contact person's email address for information regarding the
Chautauquas are:

          August 9-10
          University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
          Margaret Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

          August 23-24
          University of Kentucky
          Barbara Kucera <[log in to unmask]>

          September 14-15
          Boston University
          Jennifer Teig von Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>

4.  July 16 - The deadline for submission of request for travel grants for
the Kentucky Chautauqua;

    The review process will consist of independent review by three
individuals with discussion to determine the ultimate allocation of
awards.

5.  July 23 - Notification of Kentucky Chautautqua travel grant awards.

6.  I announced the possibility of support for one student from each
EPSCoR state and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico to attend the
supercomputing conference SC'99 in Portland, Oregon, November 13-19, 1999,
as a student volunteer.

If you know of someone who might be interested in participating as a
student volunteer, please send me their contact information and I will
pursue their interest and completion of an application form.

Additional information about SC99 is available at:  http://www.sc99.org

If you have any questions or would like to have additional information,
please contact me.  I will look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Barbara

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
University of Illionis at Urbana-Champaign
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 265-8022

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and
write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." - Alvin Toffler