>Date:    Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:32:47 EDT
>From:    Jeff Eriksen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: RECAPS?   wuz: RE: [SKIVT-L] My Best Season
>
>I was skiing with my brother in the bowl to skier's left of the 7th Heaven
>chair at Blackcomb.  It was foggy and snowing (a very popular combination
>last season) and I was able to ski fresh bottomless for the first time in my
>life.  Each run, we'd traverse a touch more and get clean lines.  One moment
>was particularly meaningful.  I was successfully linking turns down the bowl
>and noticed the terrain begin to fall away.  I was excited at the prospect of
>a bit more help from gravity but was unaware just how steep the slope was
>getting.  The fog/snow/overcast combination was helping to induce some "empty
>field myopia".  I've experienced it before while flying in instrument
>conditions but never while skiing.  It turns out that the terrain became a
>small cliff and I was treated to an unexpected moment of flight.  It was
>probably no more than 15 feet top to bottom, but it was a total surprise.  I
>can still sense how everything seemed to get quite clear.  Until the yardsale
>anyway.  I stood up with snowpacked goggles and a mouth full of snow.  And a
>huge smile.

I'm glad you had fun.  But, repeat after me; "Never never ski incautiously
on a steepening slope in flat light or a whiteout".   This goes double for
the west above tree line and triple for Whistler Blackcomb where there is a
lot of stuff that can kill you.  That 15 ft. cliff could just has easily
have been an 80 footer; they've got them.  As I recall there are some nice
trees in the 7th Heaven area just a little way down from the top.  That's
where I would have gone under flat light conditions.

Denis Bogan

[log in to unmask]   NOTE NEW e-mail ADDRESS!!!
Voice;  301-286-1306
FAX;  301-286-0212 - Let me know it's coming.
(Mailing address: Laboratory for Extraterrestrial Physics
Code 691, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD 20771)
http://www-691.gsfc.nasa.gov/personnel/dbogan/dbogan.html