>From:    Dan Barron <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: more teleskating
>
>Denis Bogan wrote:
>> I did understand that.<snip>
>> I assume that this skate is designed to have in essence a variable
>> rockering that responds to your edging angle and the contour of the
>> pavement.
>
>Then that's what I don't understand. I would think the edging would be
>exactly no different with Escapes than with conventional rockered
>skates. I guess the skates' difference is that, on rockered skates you
>spend some time on wheels 2 and 3. I think on these, if you're flatfoot
>you'll be on 1 2 3 4. Most of the time you'll be up on just 1 2 (like
>rockered, only much more vertical angle, which is what really lets you
>bend your knee, which is different from edging, isn't it?). I can't
>picture how anymore, but I think on the carpet, I also leaned back (in
>the Escapes) onto wheels 3 4 only (like rockered).

Well, I just assumed that the "variable rocker" was the selling point of
the skate because I couldn't imagine the motivation being so you could make
tele turns.  That would be absolutely wild!!   Imagine designing a skate
for the 1000 or so people in the entire universe who would like to make
tele turns on skates.  Next thing you know we'll be hearing that Doug
joined a monastery with a code of silence.

>(Re: keeping your rear heel low in tele turns on skis)
>Hmmmm. My turn to be surprised. I *never* thought that way on skis.
>Guess I'll agree or disagree in about 6 months.

One of the rare things I get praised for in PSIA tele clinics is the way I
use the flexibility of the ankles.  If you think about it, you get a better
feel for the edge of your rear ski this way, and you can be quicker getting
into the next turn.  Having a high heel is often coupled with a long
fore-aft separation of the skis.  That has several problems.  It makes it
difficult to properly weight the rear ski, closes your hips to the fall
line, and slows your next turn because it takes longer to change the lead.
It isn't just me; you'll find this tip in Paul Parker's book, "Free Heel
Skiing", one of the best ski instruction books I've ever read.  I highly
recommend it even to alpine skiers.  Parker has a gift for cutting to the
heart of the matter with a very simple explanation.

>Thanks Denis and Dana,

Likewise,  I enjoyed this thread.  Maybe we have turned some others on to
skating.

Denis Bogan

[log in to unmask]   NOTE NEW e-mail ADDRESS!!!
Voice;  301-286-1306
FAX;  301-286-0212 - Let me know it's coming.
(Mailing address: Laboratory for Extraterrestrial Physics
Code 691, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD 20771)
http://www-691.gsfc.nasa.gov/personnel/dbogan/dbogan.html