Dan Barron <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Dana, a guy in the shop today said he'd seen people teleing on
>rollerskis a lot in Aspen. Didn't know any brand names. Wasn't even sure
>if they were factory or basement. Said some had a narrower wheel than
>the 4" steamrollers, as he called them. Also said he saw one with a
>tractor belt system instead of wheels.

My minds eye had expanded the wheel size a bit- it's actually about 85mm or
so, and about 40mm wide.  Definitely not the all-terrain version.  I've
got a pair of tractor-belt flavored "grass skis" that I picked up a few
years ago surplus.  Never tried 'em.  They'd probably tele OK on grass with
some hacks, but they'd last about 100 yards (if I were _lucky_) on pavement.

>By the way, Dana, why wouldn't you want ratcheted wheels? Planning on
>skiing backwards?

Yup!  Backwards teles are _really_ difficult- I need to stay in practice! :-)
(Try it sometime on a bunny hill- it's possible, but natural it ain't!)

But it truth, the skaters were what was available, and I bet they're quieter.
The ratchet wheels are available as replacement parts though, should I get
curious.

dana

_____________ ________ __
__(    Tele till you drop