We are getting ready to install and implement pay to print services using
UniPrint university-wide.  We are going to involve students in deciding how
much to charge, but the decision to charge something has already been made
by the powers that be at the four sites involved: the computer labs and main
library on the main university campus across town and the medical library
and computer labs run by the medical library and the School of Public Health
and Tropical Medicine at the Medical Center.  The cost will be no less than
.05 and no more than .10 (we charge .10 for copying).  We are scheduled to
install the system the second week of August right before the first year Med
students start classes.  I don't expect the students to be happy about the
situation because they pay substantial tuition, but our printing costs are
skyrocketing, and there's no other way to contain them without charging.

Cindy

>We are experimenting with a pay-to-print laser copies from our LRC computer
>lab.  Over the last few years, our paper and toner costs for laser copies
>have far exeeded our copier revenue (.07/page) which we hoped would cover
>it all.  We are looking at a .05/sheet cost to discourage casual web and
>email printing.
>
>Our students seem outraged at the prospect.  I would be curious to know
>what other medical school libraries and/or LRCs are beginning to charge.
>We have about 900 medical, graduate, and allied health students with access
>to our facilities.
>
>If you prefer to reply directly to me, I will summarize for the group as I
>suspect others might want to compare their paper/toner/printer maintenance
>costs, too.
>
>Thanks for your replies.
>

>*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*
>Cathy Montoya, MLS
>Assistant Director - AIS
>Learning Resources Center
>Baylor College of Medicine